Fw: Priority Increasing

Ashwin Chandra ashcs at ucla.edu
Mon Feb 28 04:55:42 GMT 2005

The forkbomb program I wrote is just one parent that forks 750 or so
 children that each malloc around 40 MB's of memory and do a mem traversal
 through it. The children do not fork. I see the overhead of forking could
be
 causing this, but shouldn't there be some difference in the load of the
 system when each forkbomb process is set to the lowest priority? To fork
750
 processes would incur overhead until those processes are created (Which
 shouldnt take much of real time) and once they are running, if they other
 processes that have already been created are running "nicely", I don't see
 why there is so much overhead too.

 Do you recommend anotoher way to solve this forkbomb problem and keep the
 system DoS free for others?
 Ash