send file descriptor via ipc

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Sat Feb 26 09:39:09 GMT 2005

Yan Yu wrote this message on Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 00:58 -0800:
> Hello, there,
>   I am looking for the function that handle send/recv file descriptors
> through sendmsg/recvmsg?
> by looking through source files,
> unp_internalize/unp_externalize in kern/uipc-usrreq.c seems relevant..
>
> but i am not sure since i could not guess the meaning of the function
> name..  (btw, what is "unp", the prefix in the function name stands for?)
> Can someone please confirm if it is the right function or point
> me to the right one i should look at?

I'd highly recommend that you get the book APUE (Advance Programming
in the Unix Environment by the late Richard Stevens...  It's a great
book and covers this topic...

You can also look at unix(4) which has a brief description..  You must
use unix domain sockets in order to pass file descriptors, and so the
unp probably refers to UNix Protocol...  but I could be wrong about
that...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579