Driver Update Disk discussion

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Feb 25 03:18:33 GMT 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:39, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> One does not need to patch the source tree at to pick up ports modules
> for a kernel rebuild.  One can build the ports modules as part of the
> kernel by simply defining PORTS_MODULES in a kernel config file.  In
> addition, one can specify absolute paths with MODULES_OVERRIDE.  One
> can also build modules outside the tree against a specific kernel (if
> they somehow depend on the config files).

I think PORTS_MODULES is a little suboptimal..

I have a patch set which allows a port to install KLD source in a directory
and have it picked up during a build/install kernel. This has a few
advantages over calling the ports tree from those makefiles. The prime one
being that your source code does not change between upgrades without you
saying so. This is matters since (for example) the newer nvidia driver does
not work on some hardware the old driver does (eg Fx5200 Go). It also means
that the kernel build/install does not result in non kernel things being
altered.

The disadvantage is that the KLD ports need to be modified to install the
source code in the right place (not hard) and that you will need to upgrade
your ports tree to keep up with ABI changes if you update your source but
IMHO it's better to make this sort of action explicit - otherwise the end
user is in the position of not knowing what has changed on their system.

Also speaking of KLD ports.. I really wish they wouldn't install
into /boot/modules (I patch so they don't) as it is a really good way to
shoot yourself in the foot during an upgrade :(

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum