Kernel threads & libc

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Feb 22 15:37:17 GMT 2005

In the last episode (Feb 22), Dmitry Agaphonov said:
> I'm forced to implement kernel threads in application not via
> LinuxThreads library (because it doesn't compile on FreeBSD 4.10 with
> gcc-3.4.4, too much errors while processing /usr/src code), but using
> rfork_thread(3).

Why not build the LinuxThreads port with the system's compiler?  It's
not C++ code, so you can link it to code compiled with any compiler
(just like libc, which is built with gcc 2.95 as well).  Just because
your application may require gcc 3.4 doesn't mean that all supporting
libraries have to be built with it too.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com