Firewire blues

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Tue Feb 15 11:39:16 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 11:55, Gerald Heinig wrote:
> Hi Stephan,
>
> I'm happy to say that it's working now :)
> I grabbed a 5.3-STABLE snapshot to get the updated kgdb and completely
> reinstalled my 5.3-RELEASE system. I compiled the kernel using your
> options and it worked straight away.
> I have no idea why it didn't work before. It must be some boot variable
> I set way back whenever.
> Thanks very much indeed for helping me out with this! I really
> appreciate your patience.

Great.

> By the way, did you ever get the non-cooperative debugging working? I
> tried that, but it doesn't work, complaining about invalid hex digits.
> That's the debug method I'm _really_ interested in, because it enables
> you to debug hangs and freezes.

Never used it before - but is works for me.

debug# fwcontrol
2 devices (info_len=2)
node           EUI64          status
   0  00-11-06-66-40-00-82-34      0
   1  00-11-06-66-40-00-18-dd      1

debug# sysctl -w hw.firewire.fwmem.eui64_hi=0x00110666
hw.firewire.fwmem.eui64_hi: 1073775156 -> 1115750

debug# sysctl -w hw.firewire.fwmem.eui64_lo=0x400018dd
hw.firewire.fwmem.eui64_lo: 0 -> 1073748189

debug# kgdb -c /dev/fwmem0.0 kernel.debug