malloc vs ptmalloc2

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Mon Feb 14 11:12:30 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Uwe Doering wrote:

> Just from memory, doesn't Linux' malloc require kernel support for re-mapping
> memory regions, which is not available in FreeBSD?  This issue came up in the
> discussion about FreeBSD's anemic realloc performance.  Or has this kernel
> functionality been added to recent versions of FreeBSD?
>
> You may want to investigate this before you invest too much time into your
> porting effort.
>
>   Uwe
> --
> Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers

I thought that thread was speculative, with someone saying "it would be
nice if realloc had kernel help", or something like that.  However, if
that feature is used by some malloc library which might be portable to
FreeBSD (so that the feature's use can be shown), I'd suggest that someone
contact Alan Cox (alc at freebsd.org) - he seems to be working on optimizing
the VM system right now, so he'd be the person who could code up support
for this feature quickest.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack