Star & FreeBSD

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Fri Feb 11 22:22:42 PST 2005

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005, Eitarou Kamo wrote:

> >Actually, I think the answer is YES.  You're apparently answering
> >a different question.  See below.
> >
> >It is my understanding that virtually any open-source license is
> >*compatible* with the MIT and 2-clause BSD licenses, since all the
> >MIT/2-clause BSD licenses require is that you acknowledge and
> >preserve the license, copyright, and disclaimer.
> >
> >However, I believe it is generally not possible to use CDDL code
> >for integral parts of FreeBSD because, like the LGPL, the CDDL
> >requires that modifications be made available under the CDDL.
> >It is probably fine for kernel modules and extensions, but that's
> >something core@ needs to decide.
> >

> As the conclusion, which state are available?
>
> Pre                         Post
> ----------------------------------
> BSD license  ---->  CDDL
> GPL license  ---->  CDDL
> MIT license  ---->  CDDL
> CDDL  ---->  BSD license
> CDDL  ---->  GPL license
> CDDL  ---->  MIT license

The Copyright holder can release his code under whatever licenses
as he sees fit.  If you're not the Copyright holder, then the
story is different.  It is my understanding that it is possible to
add additional restrictions to BSD/MIT-licensed software (without
removing the original restrictions and disclaimer, of course).
However, the GPL forbids additional restrictions on both source
and binary distributions, and the CDDL forbids additional
restrictions on source distributions:

	You may not offer or impose any terms on any Covered
	Software in Source Code form that alters or restricts the
	applicable version of this License or the recipients
	rights hereunder.  --CDDL 1.0, sec 3.4

It's too bad that Sun's lawyers think they need to force people to
contribute changes back to them.

Once again: I am not a lawyer and make no guarantee about the
accuracy of the contents of this message.  The opinions herein do
not reflect those of the FreeBSD Project.  Use this information at
your own peril.  Beware of dog.  Slippery when wet.