ATA_IDENTIFY timed out on ASUS P4VP-MX

Luiz Otavio Souza luiz at microeletronica.com.br
Sun Feb 6 17:05:31 PST 2005

Recently one of my clients get a new (very cheap) P4VP-MX wich uses a VIA
VT8235 Southbridge.

This machine is not detecting (identify) ATA disk under 5.3.

I have tested with 5.3-STABLE and 5.3-RELEASE, with 4.X it works.

I tried with different disks and with CDROM, but nothing works.

The same disk run on another machines (including a P4SP-MX wich uses
SIS chipset) and 4.X run normaly.

I have do some code debug, and ata_getparam() get no return (no interrupt
is generated - ata_interrupt() never run).

The workaround of PR/73706 not work for me (my secondary ATA also fail)
and break another machine on tests.

I'm playing with interrupt routing, but i cant get it working.

Also tried with dma, acpi, pci.enable_io_modes and apic disabled.

There is no error on dmesg until ATA_IDENTIFY timed out.

Any ideas / workaround ?

Thanks,
Luiz