RFC: backporting GEOM to the 4.x branch

ALeine aleine at austrosearch.net
Fri Feb 4 07:58:39 PST 2005

rwatson at FreeBSD.org wrote:

> I guess the interesting question is why to do this?

Thank you for your very thorough and insightful reply. :-) I've
already discussed my reasons in detail with Matt Dillon, you can
read our exchange at:

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2005-02/index.html

Basically, it seems like I should save myself a lot of trouble and
just deGEOMify GBDE so it can be integrated into FreeBSD 4.x and
DragonFly BSD. I can live without GEOM GATE, but GBDE (or dGDE as
it will probably be called once I'm done botching it :->) is
something I really really need in 4.x. Would this be something
the Core members would like to see committed to RELENG_4?

I would also appreciate it very much if you could give me some
pointers on deGEOMifying GBDE.

Thank you,
ALeine