Devilator - performance monitoring for FreeBSD

Borja Marcos borjamar at sarenet.es
Wed Feb 2 03:10:47 PST 2005

	Hello,

	I'm writing a performance monitoring data collector for Orca
(www.orcaware.com) for FreeBSD 4- and 5-.

	I'm not sure about the correct values in the process description to
get a picture as accurate as possible of the cpu usage of different
processes. I've seen that top uses p_runtime (FreeBSD 5 and FreeBSD 4),
but I'm not sure if the value would be really useful.

	You can see a snapshot of the work in progress at:

	ftp://borja.sarenet.es/pub/freebsd4-devilator.pdf
	ftp://borja.sarenet.es/pub/freebsd5-devilator.pdf

	I'm intending to do something more complete than the classical
"orcallator" for Solaris. Namely, I am going to plot:

	- System processes resource usage (hopefully useful to spot
bottlenecks, and hopefully useful for the system developers)

	- Resource usage by a set of processes specified by the user. It will
have a configuration file with {process name, regular expression}
pairs. Processes whose name matches the regular expression will get
their own graph with %user/%system, etc cpu times, and probably I/O
statistics, memory statistics, so that you can know wether your (for
example) smtpd processes are getting more resources, or the memory hogs
are the httpd's, etc.

	- MBUF statistics

	- Network statistics (connections, TCP/UDP/ICMP statistics...)

	- Various caches and VM

	BTW, I'm having serious issues with a machine with very big
directories, and I've been playing with the dirhash configuration,
setting up a very big cache. It would be useful to have some statistics
so that I can plot the number of hits/misses to that dirhash cache,
etc.

	Please send me suggestions, ideas, problems seen in these examples.
The software will obviously be released to the community, and I plan to
make the first release available in one or two weeks.

	I know that there may be too many graphs in the page, and I will
probably add some switches to turn graphs on/off.

	Best regards,

	Borja.