[WIP] uhid(4): Support for the Microsoft Xbox360 gamepad

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Thu Dec 8 14:56:48 PST 2005

Hello,

Last week I heard that Microsoft's new Xbox360 uses regular USB
connectors for their gamepads. Because the guys at Xbox-Linux.org
already wrote a driver for Linux, I decided to buy one and write a
FreeBSD driver for it.

The Xbox360 gamepad is like any normal HID gamepad, except that it has
been slightly crippled by Microsoft:

- They don't use the regular HID interface class, but the vendor
  specific class in combination with an interface subclass.
- Their device does not contain a HID report descriptor.

The first problem was easy to solve; I just changed the USB_MATCH code
to accept the UICLASS_VENDOR in combination with the interface subclass
and interface protocol. Limiting vendor and product ID's should be
avoided because that would block third party gamepads.

The second problem was a little trickier because I had no experience
with writing report descriptors. After taking a look at examples and
reading documents at usb.org, I hacked one together. It's quite nice the
FreeBSD driver was somewhat prepared for custom report descriptors (the
Wacom Graphire gets a custom report descriptor for example).

The result can be found here:

	http://g-rave.nl/files/xbox/freebsd-xbox360-gamepad.diff

There are only some small unfinished parts though:

- I don't know the output format state; I cannot control the rumbles or
  the LEDs on the gamepad (I constantly see green leds flashing)
- For some reason, I can only read data when polling the gamepad.
  `usbhidctl -f <device> -al` does not return any output.

Useful hints would really be appreciated; I'm not a real wizard when it
comes to USB ;-)

Yours,
--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>