ntpd and cmos clock update

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Aug 30 14:38:47 GMT 2005

In message: <20050830065931.GD61824 at funkthat.com>
            John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu> writes:
: Warner Losh wrote this message on Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 17:01 -0600:
: > In message: <b7052e1e05082905206b1f0f31 at mail.gmail.com>
: >             Dmitry Mityugov <dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com> writes:
: > : That's why I always thought that ntpd did not work in FreeBSD 5.x!
: >
: > ntpd works perfectly on FreebSD 5.x
:
: I think he refers to the fact that after a reboot, the time has to be
: adjusted by n seconds, so obviously the time that FreeBSD thought it
: was just before the reboot was just as far off...  hence ntpd wasn't
: working...

When ntpd is running, ntpd sets the time.  The TODR is just something
that gets things kinda close for ntpd to actually do its work.  Of
course, since all my 5.x experience is done on machines that get the
time from GPS and the local time doesn't matter at all, I might not
have noticed something like that.

Warner