IBM Active Protection System Approach

Borja Marcos borjamar at sarenet.es
Mon Aug 22 15:55:47 GMT 2005

> I think this will need to be tailored to the exact type of "mishap"
> one wants to protect against.

     I think that the main purpose of the shock detection system is
to allow data to be recovered from the disk in case the laptop is
broken. By parking the heads asap you can avoid damaging the plates
with the head.

     At least that's what I read. The disk won't be necessary usable
after being dropped, but at least the plates should be readable.

     In that case, priority number one would be a fast parking of the
head. However, it could lead to a worst-case data loss with
softupdates and the disk cache, isn't it?

     Borja.