Project BSDVISION Wants To Develop Native *BSD Console Desktop

Mike Adewole mike at voicenette.com
Sun Aug 21 06:51:40 GMT 2005

From: "Hans Petter Selasky"
To: <freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: Project BSDVISION Wants To Develop Native *BSD Console Desktop

> On Saturday 20 August 2005 17:29, Mike Adewole wrote:
> > > I am just wondering, but will you be using QT 4.0 for this project?
> > >
> > > I might be interrested, though I am very comfortable with blackbox, it
> >
> > might
> >
> > > be nice with some icons, as long as it doesn't take forever to start.
> > >
> > > --HPS
> >
> > We'll be reimplementing TurboVision (C++) for the project so we can
release
> > under a BSD compatible license. It's almost done and it looks quite nice
> > with overlapping windows and drag n drop.
>
> Maybe I misunderstood you, but will this be running under X or in some
text
> terminal?
>
> --HPS

It will be running on a virtual console in text or graphics mode like
TurboVision used to, but we are focusing on text mode for now. As I just
wrote to someone else, the main idea is to enable BSD programs to have a
nice console (textual and graphical) interface with and without any windows
system. So I could have a standalone program that looks like an X program
for example but runs on a virtual console without X. Or I could have the
program run in a desktop environment with other programs without changing a
single line of code or recompiling the program.

Cheers