Parking disk drive heads

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Aug 19 16:58:15 GMT 2005

Bill Vermillion wrote:
> "Bits dont fail me now!" was what
> freebsd-hackers-request at freebsd.org muttered as he hastily typed
> this on Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 12:00 :
>

>>   1. Re: Parking disk drive heads (Glenn Dawson)

> The setups for parking heads pretty much went away when the move
> from MFM drive to ATA technology.

Well, they are obvioulsy back as the IBM and apple laptops invoke them.

> And if your are worried about a shock that could damage the drive,
> you will probably lose your computer at the same time.
not evennearly true, but even if it were, I'd rather lase the
laptop and be able to salvage
teh drive than lose it all.

> Check the technical specs on current drives.  You will see that
> most will handled well over 100G shocks when not running, and
> usually far over 20G in operational mode.  Considering that
> 20G to the human body usually means death you aren't going to have
> to worry about losing drives to operating bumps unless you have a
> habit of dropping them in parachutes from airplanes. :-)

this shows a slight misunderstanding of the use of 'G' in describing
such events.

"shock" Gs are not the same as sustained Gs.
If you bang your hand on the table, the cells on the outer side of
your skin go from 10 km/h (~2m/s) to 0km/h in 0.000001m (1/1000th of a mm).
It takes your cells, traveling at 2m/s about 1/500000 the of a second to
cover that distance, so the accelleration is somethign of the order of
2/(1/500000) or, about 1 million Gs. cells a couple of cells in already see significantly
lower shocks as the external cells distort, absobing energy, and lengthenning
the abount of time that the inner cells have to come to a stop.
it's something like an order of magnitude per cell for the first few cells.

Shock loading for a two hard objects hitting each other,
(e.g. the ground and a laptop) can be in the 100s of thousands of Gs for
parts directly attached, to hundreds of G's on indirectly attached items
to 10s of G's for shock mounted items such as the disk drive.

Moving requirements for survival from 20G to 100G by parking the
heads in flight can greatly increase the chances that the drive survives.

just placing an unmounted drive down on a hard table, even when
not running, can ruin it. We lost hundresds that way at Whistle until
we did a failure analysis. Just placing a rubber mat on the table.
fixed it and instructing the staff to always put the drives on
a soft surface made the problem go right away.