Reducing dummynet pipe size hangs system

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Fri Aug 19 09:58:26 GMT 2005

Hi Michael,

> >   If it should work, was it broken back in 4.8 and, if so, when
> >   was it corrected?  I'd rather not take the time up upgrade the
> >   box to 4.11 if I'll then be forced to move to 5.4.
>
> There were changes in dummynet's configuration functions that, among
> other things, dealt with protecting certain code sequences with the
> proper SPL.  They went into the CVS repository after 4.8.  I can't tell
> whether these fixes would help in your case but you may want to look at
> rev. 1.24.2.22 and 1.24.2.25 (RELENG_4) in any case:

Be warned that the last import of IPFilter 3.4.35 in FreeBSD 4.11
broke dummynet/ipnat interaction one step further.  You can
use RELENG_4, it works very well (I use it as my own router), but
if you are using IPFilter in addition to DUMMYNET, you have to use
the old IPFilter.  You can check how to do this on this thread, this
is fairly easy [1]. This thread also (confusely) explain what is
broken.

Regards,

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2005-January/006363.html
--