Diskless on FreeBSD 5.4-stable

jumbler chi jumbler.chi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 08:54:21 GMT 2005

hi :
   Anyone install and configure successfully on FreeBSD 5.x ?!
 I referenced the handbook of FreeBSD
:http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-diskless.html

then my  installation  step as:

1. clone whole system via  'clone_root' script. (
/usr/share/examples/diskless/clone_root )
2. install  isc-dhcp3-server port , and configure the dhcpd.conf
3. setup TFTP service and NFS service both.
4. get etherboot Image file via following web site, and 'dd' this
image to floppy disk.
http://rom-o-matic.net/5.2.6/build.php?version=5.2.6&F=&arch=i386&nic=via-rhine%3Adlink-530tx+--+%5B0x1106%2C0x3065%5D&ofmt=Floppy+bootable+ROM+Image+%28.zdsk%29&A=Configure

( since the remote machine's network card  isn't Intel , is VIA-Rhine
VT3043 . so it can't boot via PXE. )
5. Finally, I booted the remote machine via this floppy . then I saw
nothing in remote machine. why ?!
Did I miss something else ?!  if the network has another dhcp server ,
whether it will impact ?!
BTW, I re-configure the etherboot image with
ALTERNATE_DHCP_PORTS_1067_1068 option,
it still can't work .

Regards!

Jumbler