PXE Boot FreeBSD with Etherboot

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Fri Aug 12 00:42:59 GMT 2005

It seems there are some problems with using pxeboot in combination with
the network boot code from the etherboot project.  I have tried many
combinations of options with no success.  The result is very similar to
the following photo I found:

http://photos.night-shade.org.uk/photo.php?photo=6364

I have tried it both on my local machine and in vmware with the same
result.  It seems that somehow etherboot is not setting up the
environment the way pxeboot expects it too.  Now the native pxe boot
code in vmware does load pxeboot correctly and I have successfully
booted freebsd in vmware, however I can't get the pxe boot code on my
network card to load at all, hence my need for etherboot.  Also, both
pxeboot from FreeBSD 4.11 and 6.0-BETA2 crash the same way.  I'm
assuming this is really a bug in etherboot, but I'm not sure how to get
a crash dump to play with.  With vmware, it seems like I should be able
to save a memory image to examine, but I'm not sure how to do that.
Any ideas on a fix for this?

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA  C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2