Include files that depend on include files

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at linux.gr
Wed Aug 10 05:56:11 GMT 2005

On 2005-08-10 00:22, Dirk GOUDERS <gouders at et.bocholt.fh-ge.de> wrote:
>> This is intentational.  We try to avoid having headers bring in more
>> then absolutly required when included.  I'm not sure what your second
>> question means.
>
> With my second question I wanted to ask if this intention is only for
> kernel level code or a general one.  I am asking this, because
> somewhen in a project that I was not actually participating in I heard
> or read a rule that roughly said: "all include files have to include
> all files they depend on and compile cleanly", but that project was on
> a user space program.

Well, first of all "include files" do not "compile".  Then, there are
two different schools of thought on this matter:

    a) the "purity and clean state of the namespace" school, and
    b) the "keep the header files a userlevel program has to include as
       few as possible" school

Both approaches have their advantages and drawbacks.  AFAIK, in FreeBSD
the first is preferred.

- Giorgos