pw home directory creation

Bryce Kahle bwkahle at binary.net
Mon Aug 8 19:05:52 GMT 2005

I recently sent the following to David L. Nugent, who is listed as the
author and maintainer of pw, at the email address listed in the pw
README within the FreeBSD source tree. I received no response, so I
thought I would see if anyone here had any ideas about this.

David,

I have been using your program pw on FreeBSD for quite awhile now, and
I've recently ran into a problem. I have been setting up a NIS network,
and I would like to use pw to add new users to the NIS tables as it
seems it is very well tailored to do this. The problem I have is that in
order to do so I use the -V flag to pw for an alternate configuration
directory. I examined the source code and noticed that when you use this
flag, that it will absolutely not create home directories. I was
wondering if there was a justification behind this decision, and what it
  might be?

I would really like to be able to create home directories when not
touching the actual passwd file of a machine.

Thanks for your time.

--
Bryce Kahle <bwkahle at binary.net>
Systems Administrator - Binary Net