FreeBSD 6.0BETA2 ndis(4) WPA-PSK

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Aug 8 18:23:37 GMT 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 01:29:13PM -0400, chuck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just install the 6.0Beta2 to test the new WPA-PSK functionality.
> Regarding this,
> I have 2 questions.
>
> 1) The signal strength is quite different between drivers. (ath vs ndis).
>    - The signal is much stronger when I use the ndis drivers. Why ?

Most likely they are reporting a value with different units.  It's quite
likely that ndis(4) isn't mapping the values correctly to what the 80211
framework expects.  It's also possible they are programming the card
differently and thus the signal is actually different, but that seems
less likely.  Unless ath is actually performing worse, I'd suggest
ignoring it.

> 2) The wpa-psk works perfectly when I use the ath(4) driver and it doesn't work
>    with the ndis(4) drivers. When I use wpa_supplicant I get this (from dmesg)

ndis(4) doesn't support the features required for wpa_supplicant to
work.

-- Brooks