Soc ssh fs: dummy Fuse module aviable for review

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Mon Aug 8 15:55:37 GMT 2005

Hi Csaba,

> I am Csaba Henk, Google Summer of Code participant at FreeBSD.
>
> I am to create an ssh based virtual networking filesystem, by now that
> boils down to porting Fuse (http://fuse.sourceforge.net) (doing so
> brings much more to FreeBSD than having an ssh based filesystem).
>
> Now I want to tell you about a test capable fragment of this ongoing work.
>
> If you are interested, you'll find all further info at a dedicated wiki
> page, http://wikitest.freebsd.org/moin.cgi/FuseFilesystem.
>
> I'd appreciate testing and code review. I can also serve with a weird
> bug when using multi-threaded Fuse daemons, with simple instructions how to
> trigger it. I guess seasoned BSD hackers will see immediately what's
> wrong with my read(2) handling. Please send comments to the soc-chenk
> email address of the FreeBSD project.

Thanks for your work, this is going to be pretty handy.

As a side note, another good filesystem project it would be nice to
support in FreeBSD is FiST [1] and more specifically its powerful
union filesystem [2] which seems to be far less broken than FreeBSD's
unionfs.

For those who don't know this, FiST only requires to have a no-op
stackabke filesystem (called wrapfs IIRC) implemented on a given
operating system to allow to take the best of all other filesystems
implemented thanks to FiST.  This includes unionfs, cryptfs, gzipfs, ...
They are implemented in pseudo-C code and ``merged'' with the
OS-dependant wrapfs to create a new filesystem.

[1] http://www.filesystems.org/
[2] http://www.filesystems.org/project-unionfs.html

Regards,
--