WinXP and FreeBSD configuration problems

Andreas Kohn andreas.kohn at gmx.net
Fri Aug 5 16:02:58 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 22:44 -0400, dmwassman at cox.net wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> OK it is now day three and I have given up. This will be a long
> one just to warn you now.

[...]
> First, I tried to install windows on the first 2G partition then
> tried to install freebsd as follows
> ad0s0		NTFS		2G	#Windows Boot
> ad0s1		FreeBSD	2G	#FreeBSD Boot/Swap
> ad0s3		FAT		20G	#Windows
> ad0s4		FreeBSD	298G	#FreeBSD
>
> Now when I finished installing WinXP I could boot with no problems
> but after installing FreeBSD, I get a BSOD when trying to boot WinXP.
> I looked thru google, FreeBSD, and Microsoft for a possible answer.
> No. Everyone seems to just put all of WinXP on the first partition
> and then FreeBSD or Linux. I think thats fine for a 20, 30 or even
> 80 GiB HD but I think there will be a performance issue with the
> boot and swap so deep on the HD.

Hi,

I would say this is a Windows problem. Old Windows certainly had the
habit of only reading the partition table up to the first non-windows
partition.
Looks like WinXP still does the same.

But as your only reason for trying for days to get this to work is
a possible performance loss, you may perhaps want to try to measure this
loss and see if it warrants days of work against Windows.

Best regards,
--
Andreas

--
<TalisA> was macht man eigentlich auf einer linux-gamer lan ? hl server
aufsetzen und freuen ? *duck* ^^