(no subject)

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Aug 2 02:30:14 GMT 2005

Subject: Re: FreeBSD desktop?
--text follows this line--
In <1122924209.19849.18.camel at wushu.llnl.gov>, Michael Carlson <carlson39 at llnl.gov> typed:
> But if you dont want to wait a couple of days, XFCE is probably the
> lightest Window Manager.

Not a chance. It uses gtk, which is bigger than lwm
(/usr/ports/x11-wm/lwm) all by itself. And lwm isn't the lightest WM
around - it's just the one I'm familiar with. The catch with the real
lightweight window managers is that you configure them with cc. But if
small and fast is what you want, they're the ticket.

If you've been using Windows, you might prefer qvwm
(/usr/ports/x11-wm/qvwm), which is a Windows 95/98/NT like window
manager. I don't see one that emulates XP, and a quick google only
turns up XPde, which appears to be a dead.

If you think window management is to important to be left to such a
low-bandwidth device as a mouse(*), then you might try ratpoison
(/usr/ports/x11-wm/ratpoison). It's not for everyone, but it *really*
confuses Mac and Windows users. Personally, I prefer plpwm (an example
manager in /usr/ports/x11-wm/plwm), but I wrote it.

	<mike