URGENT for 5.4-R: ATA meister, read this now - 64/32 bits error found - Trouble with ataraid

João Carlos Mendes Luís jonny at jonny.eng.br
Thu Apr 28 15:30:00 PDT 2005

> With a 250G disk you are not even close to using 32bits of LBA space, so

    Sorry if I am mistaken here.  I know that 250G is not above 32 bits,
but it is above 28, so lba48 domain should be used.  Isn't it possible
that this domain change is causing some trouble?  That why I went
probing sources for this problem, and found those differences.  They may
not be the source for my trouble, but they are surely wrong.  You know
that, you fixed it in your patches.   ;-)

> thats not your problem. You could just leave ataraid out of your kernel
> to test if thats whats hurting you.

    Can I do that with a standard install CD?  I don't think so.

    Note that I did only boot the 5.4-RC3 cd to use the commands:
"atacontrol list" and "atacontrol status 0", and this was enough to
corrupt.  Now I am very afraid of using this again.

    BTW, this remembers me of another bug.  My motherboard does not
allow for JBOD/SPAN disks, so this disk is configured for STRIPE, with
only one disk in the array.  I was trying to change it to JBOD/SPAN with
atacontrol, to see if any diference would come, but found that
"atacontrol create" must receive two disks, and does not allow for
stripes of one single disk.  This one seems to be still in your patches.

    Oh, please also add online help to atacontrol, like scsicontrol.  I
needed to boot my notebook just to get the atacontrol manual.

> If you want to take this further you should try out the ATA mkIII
> patches on http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ATA as that is my corrections
> to whats in RELENG_5...

    I took a quick look in it, but need to create a boot disk with them
first.  This may take some time.  If you have a boot disk available,
please tell me.