kern.module_path missing kernel boot dir

Andrew Thompson andy at fud.org.nz
Wed Apr 27 14:08:02 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:02:28PM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
> I have a 5.3-RELEASE machine here which refuses to load things like
> nfsd erroring about kernel module doesnt exist. I've been tracking it
> down and it looks like: kern.module_path is at fault on the broken
> machine its:
> sysctl -a |grep modules
> kern.module_path: /boot/modules
>
> where as on a working machine its:
> sysctl -a |grep modules
> kern.module_path: /boot/kernel;/boot/modules
>
> Anyone got any ideas where I can look next to see why module_path
> is not been set correctly?

You may want to check this out from UPDATING

20040806:
        Module loading has been fixed.  Some older installations will
        drop proper module_path initialization and modules will fail to
        load properly.  If you have a line in /boot/loader.rc that says:
        "initialize drop", do (i386 only):
                cp /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader.rc /boot/loader.rc
                chown root:wheel /boot/loader.rc
                chmod 444 /boot/loader.rc

Andrew