viapm / vt8235 ?

mail.schatti.ch listman-dated-1117183313.1271a6 at schatti.ch
Wed Apr 27 01:41:13 PDT 2005

Hi all!

I've got a Via Epia PD6000E, which has a VT8235 onboard - I've seen a kernel
patch for viapm.c at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/62438

It helped as the device is found - BUT after a few seconds, I get a panic:

viapropm: SMBus I/O Base at 0x6000

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

Page fault

virtual addr = 0x6c
instruction ptr = 0x8:0xc04c4d11
current process 58 (sysctl)

Well, the DDB says:
db>trace
turnstile_setowner
turnstile_wait
_mtx_load_step
sysctl_kern_ttys
sysctl_root
userland_sysctl
_sysctl
syscall(2f,2f,2f,2f,2,bfbfe4ac)
Xint0x80:syscakk
 --- syscall (202, , )
eip=0x280c2757

if started up without viapm.ko loaded, pciconf -l tells:
isab0 at pci0:17:0 class=0x060100 card=0xaa011106 chip=31771106

Has anyone seen similiar problems ? And additionally already solved ? I want
to use this bus to access external devices via i2c; I think bitbanger via
i2cbb / ppbus is not an option; as I need the printer port already

George