preadv() / pwritev()

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Mon Apr 25 06:50:47 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:10:08PM +0200, Marc Olzheim wrote:
> Are there plans on implementing preadv() and pwritev() ? I kind of miss
> the functionality and I saw NetBSD had it already...

By the looks of pwrite() and writev() it could probably be implemented
fairly easily; it would largely be a matter of rototiling pwrite() to
accept an array of iovecs, as writev() currently does, as pwrite() already
knows how to pass a single uio/iovec on the stack with the desired start
offset. Looking at the man page for pwritev() it only accepts a start
offset, rather than an individual offset for each scatter/gather element.

I don't do enough thread-based programming at the moment to make this worth
my while, though, but I'm happy to look at a patch.

BMS