region code in cdrecord

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sun Apr 24 20:12:32 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 03:40, Chuck Robey wrote:
> k3b is just great at copying the disk.  I understand that k3b really
> uses either cdrecord or cdrdao to burn the disk, so if I could convince
> the disk that I am region 1, I would be in fat city.  I spent quite a
> long time reading the docs on cdrecord and cdrdao, and although I didn't
> learn enough, I learned more than I started with, like there is a config
> file named /usr/local/etc/cdrecord (and *.sample, a duplicate, for
> me)but of all the variables defined there, of the form CDR_<varname>,  I
> didn't find anything really convenient like CDR_REGION.  I figure that
> the right words in that file would likely do the job.  I went into the
> source code of cdrecord, but didn't find anything that looked really
> likely to work.  Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, maybe I just didn't look
> hard enough.

Like I said before, the region is NOT part of the ISO, nor can the burning
program control the region!
The only way to change the region is to alter the image you rip.

In Win32 land you can do this with, say, DVDShrink.

BTW most DVD players can be unlocked with the exception of major brands like
Sony (probably because they sell DVDs as well as players).

So, to repeat.. It ISN'T cdrecord you want to screw around with, it's the
actual ISO!

OK?

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum