sshd dieing? after applying FreeBSD-SA-03:12.openssh

Devon Sean McCullough FreeBSD-2005 at Jovi.Net
Sat Apr 23 09:02:13 PDT 2005

   Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:11:19 -0400
   From: Lucas Holt <luke at foolishgames.com>

   As I recall there is an option in the openssh config file in recent
   versions to disable DNS lookups.

Thank you for pointing that out!

FreeBSD-5.3 supports workaround # sshd -o UseDNS=no
but older servers do not.

An older workaround # echo hosts: files >> /etc/nsswitch.conf
disables DNS on the entire server.  I know /etc/host.conf
controlled host lookups, now vanished with no trace.
I guess /etc/hosts lacks reverse lookups.

		Peace
			--Devon
	 /~\
	 \ /	Health Care
	  X	not warfare
	 / \

	Dubya won the digital vote
	Kerry won the popular vote

PS: Oh no, I exposed my real mailbox to spammers harvesting the
FreeBSD lists, ugh, time for a new domain and a smarter mailer.