region code in cdrecord

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Sun Apr 24 03:07:53 PDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 11:48:42AM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:59, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > >  Now, I want to go for broke, and try for the one I've been after for
> > > years, which is converting a region==2 dvd to a region==1 dvd (Britain
> > > to US).  I have a dvd taht you can't buy in the US, I've tried, and the
> > > British won't sell it in region code 1, so I want to convert the one I
> > > went ahead and purchased anyhow.  Once I get it converted, I figure I
> > > can toss out the old region==2 version and remain lily-white and  pure
> > > as far as honesty goes.
>
> The region code is part of the VOB/IFO files that contain the DVD, not as a
> part of the ISO metadata.
>
> You will need another tool to change region, I know DVD Decrypter
> [http://www.dvddecrypter.com/] does it for Win32. Maybe transcode?

I may be completely off base here (no experience with making DVDs other
than as enormous CDR's for backup), but does it need to be region coded at
all?  Even region-locked players should be able to play a dvd with no
region code.  I think 'no region code' might actually be region 0, but it
amounts to the same thing.

IMHO there's nothing dishonest in taking whatever steps you need to play a
piece of legitimately purchased media.

        Scott