FreeBSD Network Implementation Question

Rob capveg at cs.umd.edu
Thu Apr 21 13:47:28 PDT 2005

[applogies if this is in a FAQ somewhere... I've looked in a number of places, and
am not able to find the answer]

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how large a specific buffer is in FreeBSD.
The buffer in question is the buffer between the network layer and the
ethernet device, i.e., if packets are being passed down the network
stack from tcp faster than the hardware can handle them, at what point
do packets start getting dropped locally?

I believe the answer is:

% sysctl -a
[snip]
 net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen: 50

But try as I might, I can't find the documentation of the variable to
confirm it.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

- Rob
.