KLD module with C++ iostreams ?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Apr 20 19:33:43 PDT 2005

In message: <37e1316605042019072b5d7a0e at mail.gmail.com>
            Aziz KEZZOU <opensource.enthousiat at gmail.com> writes:
: Hi hackers,
: I am wondering if I can use c++ iostreams inside the kernel ?
: After all the code : cout << "Hello world!" << endl;
: ends accessing the stdout just like : printf("Hello world!\n"); right ?

Just like, yes.  Exactly the same thing as, no.  The details matter
here.  There's a lot of code to make this happen.

: So if I could compile my KLD module with static linkage to libstdc++,
: that should be ok, right ?

No.

: Any one did or knows how to do this ?

I've done C++ in the kernel before.  IT is realtively easy to get very
basic functioanlity.  You won't have streams, exceptions, etc.
However, to have all the features of C++ would take a lot of work.

Warner