what goes wrong with barrier free atomic_load/store?

John Giacomoni John.Giacomoni at colorado.edu
Wed Apr 20 13:39:39 PDT 2005

in reading /src/sys/i386/include/atomic.h

I found this comment and I'm having trouble understanding what the
problem being
referred to below is.

/*
  * We assume that a = b will do atomic loads and stores.  However, on a
  * PentiumPro or higher, reads may pass writes, so for that case we have
  * to use a serializing instruction (i.e. with LOCK) to do the load in
  * SMP kernels.  For UP kernels, however, the cache of the single
processor
  * is always consistent, so we don't need any memory barriers.
  */

can someone give me an example of a situation where one needs to use
memory barriers to ensure "correctness" when doing writes as above?

the examples I can come up with seem to boil down to requiring locks
or accepting stale values, given that without a synchronization
mechanism
one shouldn't expect two processes to act in any specific order.

In my case I can accept reading a stale value so I'm not understanding
the
purpose of only having atomic_load/atomic_store wrappers with memory
barriers.

I saw a brief discussion where someone proposed barrier free load/store
but
don't think I saw any resolution.

thanks,

John G