Configuration differences for jails

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Wed Apr 20 07:37:58 PDT 2005

> Now with some distance, I must admit that all this gymnastic is quite
> boring.  I now decided to run two virtual hosts as they are managed in
> a very natural way.  These two hosts are just like two real boxes, one
> running Bind and the other one running Postfix.  When I need to update
> something in the configuration, I login to the box with ssh(1).  This
> take some more memory and in principle no CPU as all processes are
> sleeping most of the time.

I forgotten to explain that using virtual hosts require some
administration too in order to avoid wasting disk space.  The jail(8)
manual page advices to make world with DESTDIR set.  I prefer using
null mounts as it doesn't require additional disk space and an upgrade
of the host will automagically upgrade virtual hosts.  You will
nevertheless have to make distribution and distrib-dirs.  Here are the
directories I advice you to share :
    /bin /sbin /lib /libexec
    /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/lib /usr/libexec /usr/libdata /usr/share
    /usr/doc /usr/compat /usr/ports

Sharing ports may be more difficult as it may require sharing the
port database, but I think it's still possible.

--
Jeremie Le Hen