PXEBOOT/TFTPBOOT + big MD_ROOT problem

Emmanuel Chriqui emmanuel.chriqui at laposte.net
Tue Apr 19 11:58:59 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to make very big MD_ROOT (300MB) sent using PXEBOOT+TFTPBOOT. No
NFS. It's a sort of diskless machine with all the system on ram. When image
is small ( <= 45M ) everything boots ok. But if greater, then the kernel
does not find the /sbin/init and then reboots over and over, as if the
preloaded image was partially erased or overlapped.

In order to be sure I took the mfsroot from boot.flp and put it each time in
a bigger image. Same problem.

I use a classic mfs_root approche to make my image

dd if=/dev/zero of=$MFS_FILE bs=1k count=$SIZE
mdconfig -a -t vnode -f $MFS_FILE -u0
bsdlabel -w /dev/md0
newfs /dev/md0c
mount /dev/md0c $MFS_FILE_MOUNT
cp ... my content...
umount $MFS_FILE_MOUNT
fsck -t ufs /dev/md0c
mdconfig -d -u 0

then I mount the $MFS_FILE_MOUNT .

I tried to increase NPTK as suggested on another thread in the past but that
seems to get things worse (machine hangs on boot, or starts showing nasty
error messages under panic).

I use i386/5.4RC3/TFTPD/PXEBOOT+TFTPBOOT .

Please advise..

Emmanuel.