ext2 drives under 5.3 not umounting on reboots

M. Parsons mrparsons at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 13:20:48 PDT 2005

I have a ext2 linux partition mounted under /linux via the fstab line:

/dev/ad2s1             /linux          ext2fs  rw              1       2

It will automount on bootup, but if I do a reboot or shutdown -h now, it
doesnt get umounted properly.  In fact, if this /linux is mounted, then
/, /usr, /var, and /tmp (all seperate ufs slices on another hard drive)
also get tainted during a reboot.  And on the next startup I get the
good ole: WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted, leaving me to fsck
the drives in single mode (which sucks, as the fbsd machine is a
headless NAT machine).  Running fsck in single mode does fix everything.

So whats going on here?  reboot aint properly umounting partitions, and
fsck doesnt seem to be properly running during bootup if it detects
tainted filesystems.

Any ideas?

Freebsd 5.3 SMP kernel.