imminent disk failure ?

H. S. security at revolutionsp.com
Thu Apr 14 08:59:13 PDT 2005

Hi gang,

I have a server running 4.X for almost two years now, without problems -
rock solid as it should be - yesterday the server became unresponsive, now
that I have access again, and while checking the logs, I found this as the
last message before the unresponsiveness:

/kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting

The next message is the system getting back on, 1hour later.

I have not changed anything kernel-related on this system for a long time
(jul 2004), just apply the occasional kernel patch and rebuild/reboot the
system. I never encountered this problem before. Could this message mean
this disk is giving its last breaths ?

BTW- 4.10-STABLE system.

Kind Regards