Route/arp help?

M. Parsons mrparsons at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 07:49:18 PDT 2005

On 4/14/05, Neo-Vortex <root at neo-vortex.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 16:38, M. Parsons wrote:
>
> > I was under the impression (but would need to check to make sure) that
> > all incoming packets are diverted to ng_pppoe when it is hooked into the
> > Ethernet interface.
> >
> > This would explain your problems.
> >
> > Can you try this without the interface being used for PPPOE?
>
> I have a single interface for PPPoE using netgraph and it connects to the
> modem, and other computers fine
>
> > > For the record, http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/9693 is the page
> > > on how you access the line stats, and the MAC part is required for my
> > > modem.
>
> The only reason i could think of as to why it is required, is if its ip
> address isn't 10.0.0.1 as you think it is and for some strange reason it
> accepts ip packets as its own if the ethernet header points to its MAC
> address... try setting it to DHCP and see if you get an ip... else look up
> the manufacturer for the default ip and try a factory reset

I think things are going overboard here, Im just going to give up.

I have tried it with pppoe being down, still couldnt connect to the modem.

I was told on another msg board that if I did:

ifconfig ed0 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add -host 10.0.0.1 -interface ed0
arp -s 10.0.0.1 00:0b:23:2a:b0:c4

would be the equivalent of the 3 linux commands, but alas, those 3
dont work either.

Again, thanks to all that have tried, again, its just line stats, so I
can live without them.

Mark