Route/arp help?

Steve Watt steve at Watt.COM
Wed Apr 13 16:38:55 PDT 2005

In article <ac8741ae050413143349aa36bd at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>On 4/13/05, Iasen Kostov <tbyte at otel.net> wrote:
>> M. Parsons wrote:
>> >
>> >Honestly I have no clue why its not working, it should be simple, but
>> >it isnt.. Here is what the arp cache shows and the routing table (and
>> >its ed0, not de0, my mistake in original message).
>> >
>> >arp: (after doing the arp -s command)
>> >
>> >modem (10.0.0.1) at 00:0b:23:2a:b0:c4 on ed0 permanent [ethernet]
>> >
>> Why do you set  mac address static at all ?
>
>Huh? I dont understand what youre saying.

He's wondering why ARP doesn't just work.

>The only command I typed was arp -s 10.0.0.1 00:0b:23:2a:b0:c4 , which
>creates the arp address I should want. (my modems mac address is
>00:0b:etc)
>
>The only thing I can possibly seeing as being screwed up, is seeing as
>I have a default gateway, when I do a "telnet 10.0.0.1" its using my
>internet gateway instead of the ed0 device.  Which is why I thought I
>needed a route command to force a 10.0.0.1 connection to go through
>ed0. (linux needed the route command...)
>
>Oh well, Ive probably confused you, and myself as well. :-)

I think you're trying to over-complexify the problem.  All
you really need to do is:

# ifconfig ed0 alias 10.0.0.2/24
# telnet 10.0.0.1

No silly route commands, no forcing of ARP.  Just add the IP
address to the interface and do your connect.  My guess is
that the same is true in Linux, but I don't know the exact
syntax there.

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32