kernel killing processes when out of swap

Marc Olzheim marcolz at stack.nl
Wed Apr 13 02:31:05 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 06:40:50PM -0400, David Schultz wrote:
> Using madvise doesn't require changes per app, since MADV_PROTECT
> is inherited across exec.  You just have to write a wrapper, much
> in the spirit of nice(1), to execute a protected version of X.

Hmm, that's new to me, but certainly very useful and would do the trick
in the case of X.

The only problem seems to be that it doesn't seem to be shareable across
fork() and that is isn't easily tunable after a process is started.

Btw.: Why is this in madvise() and not in rfork() ? Is it because of
POSIX ? Any pointers are welcome...

Marc