kernel killing processes when out of swap

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 06:48:45 PDT 2005

Thanks for the feedback seems very strange that sshd was the first thing the
kernel killed off; so unless it was actually at fault ( would be very strange )
it would have been one of the smallest not largest processes.
The box has runs several 200M+ process and more 100M+ where
as sshd is usually 6M.

So this leads me to the questions:
1. Any know issues ssh which could make it eat memory?
2. Is there possibly a bug with the "large process detection"?

N.B. It seems more likely that #2 is case as the next processes to be killed
where some small perl monitoring scripts we run only after that did it kill
of one of the large 200M+ processes.

    Regards
    Steve