ggate failures.

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Sat Apr 9 14:19:51 PDT 2005

I have two systems, each with 4 300 gig SATA disks.  Let's call them
m0 and m1.  M1 exports it's disks with ggated ... on two private GigE
networks.  M0, on those same two GigE networks, imports them with
ggatec.  M0, then does the following:

Mirror	 Disks
======	 =====
s0	 ggate0 da0s1g
s1	 ggate1 da1s1g
s2	 ggate2 da2s1g
s3	 ggate3 da3s1g

And then:

concat	Disks
======	=====
v0	s0 s1 s2 s3

(so v0 is a concatination of 4 mirrors that consist of a local and
remote disk, each)

Now... This all works, and we create a filesystem on v0.  The problem
arises that whenever a lot of activity occurs on v0 (untaring a copy
of /usr is sufficient), the ggate links break down.  An example
message from the dmesg:

GEOM_MIRROR: Request failed (error=5). ggate2[WRITE(offset=259891840000, length=8192)]

Now... I don't know a lot about ggate, but this appears trivial to
trigger.  Has anyone tried similar configurations and is there any
wisdom about ggate configurations?

Dave.