Boot0 on boot floppies and 2.88meg drives/controllers

Alex Burke alexjeffburke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 06:35:15 PDT 2005

Hi,

I seem to be haivng an odd issue on a couple of my machines here. This
occurs with both 5.3-RELEASE and 4.11-RELEASE. Wasnt sure which list
to post to, apologies if I chose badly.

I downloaded the boot floppies, but upon putting it in the mahcine the
\ symbol swirled maybe once, then a pause and then it came up with two
disk error messages and then loader cannot be found.

I remembered that this was a 2.88Meg capable system, and when i forced
it into 1.44Meg mode in the system configuraiton FreeBSD booted like a
charm. I confirmed this phenomenon on another 2.88Meg enable system
here also.

I must say that these systems are MCA boxes, but I am pretty confident
for the boot0 program that should make no difference. I should also
say the boot floppy used was a 1.44Meg normal boot floppy that had
started many other systems.

If this indeed is a little bug, is there anything I can do to help?
FreeBSD atleast boots on the mahcine i changed back to 1.44, NetBSD
seemed to hang at the point of detecting fdc0 no matter what mode it
was.

Thanks, Alex J Burke.