Sigmatel USB IrDA dongle

ALeine aleine at austrosearch.net
Thu Sep 30 08:10:42 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'd like to use the SigmaTel USB IrDA dongle to connect my
computer (FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE) and my mobile phone (Samsung X600).
According to my log, the dongle is recognized:

/kernel: ugen0: Sigmatel Inc IrDA/USB Bridge, rev 1.10/0.08, addr 2

So what do I do now? I've searched everywhere and there seems to be
no software I can use with the dongle (birda, lirc, gnokii all
support only serial IrDA dongles at best). Is anyone working on
something to make use of USB IrDA dongles on FreeBSD?

If not, does anyone have some sort of alternative solution? Some
Linux mini distribution with irda-tools running inside bochs or
VMware?

I installed VMware 3.2 from the ports because it is supposed to
now support mapping of USB devices, but since it is a native
Linux application it would need a true, mapped usbdevfs under
/compat/linux/proc/bus/usb to actually work. Is anyone working
on this? I know that almost exactly two years ago Bruce M Simpson
posted on freebsd-hackers about this issue, but I have no info
on what has been done.

Any info will be greatly appreciated, I'm interested in making
this work even if I have to spend a few months coding everything
myself.

Thanks & best regards,
ALeine