hacking SCO....

Doug Russell drussell at saturn-tech.com
Mon Sep 27 13:13:19 PDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, John Von Essen wrote:

> I have a new replacement 4Gb disk. With a FreeBSD boot CD I did a dd
> and was able to get the new disk setup with all of the old disks
> partition maps, boot data, etc.,. The new disk actually boots into SCO
> but fails because it only has 100Mb or so of data.

Try adding    conv=sync,noerror    to your dd line.  If most of the data
after the defect(s) can be read, you'll end up with an almost complete
partition which will likely run.  You can then fsck and restore from tape.

for example,

dd if=/dev/daX of=/dev/daY conv=sync,noerror bs=128k

Later......						<Doug>