Freebsd 5.0-RELEASE & named pipes

Borut Kurnik borut at vlk.dyndns.org
Fri Sep 24 08:54:14 PDT 2004

Hi!

The system doesn't wait for me to open the reader, I get the message
instantly.

I worked on 4.7 & still does (also on linux, netbsd, ... :-) )

This is NetBSD 1.6

[root at himler root]# echo "test" > f &
[1] 2383
[root at himler root]# cat < f
test
[1]+  Done                    echo "test" >f

And this is FreeBSD 5.0

[root at bart root]# echo "test" > f  &
[1] 2436
[root at bart root]# -bash: f: Resource temporarily unavailable

[1]+  Exit 1                  echo "test" >f

Borut