Geode based PC/104 micro board and FreeBSD

Bruce R. Montague brucem at mail.cruzio.com
Mon Sep 20 13:20:39 PDT 2004

Hi, very likely you have hit a known issue on the
original Geode. In "generic_bcopy" in "i386/support.s"
FreeBSD occasionally does a byte-aliged long rep
move in the video buffer that locks the geode hard.
See the patches at the following (it is a trivial
patch):

  63.249.85.132
  63.249.85.132/geode.html
  63.249.85.132/geode.html#patch_bcopy

If you have no other means to fix this, there is an
old 4.7 patched CD image at the above site that will
boot on the Geode.

I'm guilty of not submitting this as some sort of
patch; it seemed a few years went by and there was
no need/interest. The Soekris apparently never
exercises this video code. I'll look at this again
if I have time. The Geode II (and maybe other geode
variants) supposedly don't have this problem, but I
don't know...

 - bruce