ZFS

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Thu Sep 16 16:15:14 PDT 2004

David Schultz wrote this message on Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 18:53 -0400:
> > Now, over a year of runtime, the raw data amounts to (according to
> > Google Calculator):
> >
> > (100 (terabytes / sec)) * 1 year = 3.4697207 10^21 bytes
> >
> > or just over 2^71 bytes in a year.
>
> A UC Berkeley study has some interesting statistics on total
> storage sold per year, including a breakdown by medium:
>
> http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/research/projects/how-much-info-2003/printable_magnetic.pdf
>
> They place the total storage sold in 2003 at 2^68 bytes and the
> amount of original data produced at 2^62 bytes.

Ummm..  Don't forget that pdf is only talking about megnetic media..
it doesn't include all the CD/DVD+-RW? discs sold..  A single store
probably has close to a half petabyte of optical media too...  Plus
it doesn't include all the cd and dvd's sold either..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579