ZFS

Kevin A. Pieckiel pieckiel+freebsd-hackers at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Sep 16 08:12:30 PDT 2004

> >On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Sam wrote:
> >1PB is - what? 2^50 bytes? That looks closer to 2^64 than your
> >figures indicate. I'd imagine an exabyte a year ought to be topping out
> >after 16 years. I'm missing about half-a-dozen orders of magnitude
> >somewhere it seems.

Where on earth would you find a disk system that can store 2^64 bytes of
data or larger, anyway?  Don't physical and technological limitations
limit the total capacity of even the largest hard drives now available?
It would take millions of drives, or more, to create a single 2^64 byte
logical drive.